Thursday, March 1, 2018

The importance of SLEEP

If ONLY I could sleep on a regular basis... I'd probably be happy, healthy, and super fit by now. But, as it stands, I often spend many nights awake, staring at my clock as I watch the minutes tick by...
Last night I watched my clock go from 10:15 all the way until 1:45...

Not sleeping is bad for you, Mkay?

I need to sleep better. Sleep is important in a LOT of ways. According to Harvard Medical School -"Chronic sleep deprivation may cause weight gain by affecting the way our bodies process and store carbohydrates, and by altering levels of hormones that affect our appetite." And, it you're trying to lose weight and get healthy - that's bad for you.

Sleep loss may result in irritability, impatience, inability to concentrate, and moodiness - which, could then keep you from going to the gym... or help you order that large, comforting pizza instead of the fish and broccoli... Sleep disorders have been linked to hypertension, increased stress hormone levels, and irregular heartbeat. It also alters immune function.

So - try to get a full night of sleep. Adjust your schedule, relax, and see if that helps you out.

Until next time - get some rest!

4 comments:

  1. For the most part, I have no problem in that area of my life! In fact, I actually believe my inner spirit animal is a sloth because I sleep so often ...I'm just bragging now ain't I? Sorry! lol ...hope you get some better sleep tonight. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm envious of your sleepiness. I could be exhausted and go to bed at 2am... and wake up at 6. It's a curse.

      Delete
  2. I sleep horribly too. I wake up constantly. My brother used to joke that I would be a great guard, because I swear I hear everything at night. I am definitely more irritable, and make stupider decisions, when I am sleep deprived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad decisions abound when I do not sleep... especially if I do multiple days in a row...

      Delete