Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Alcohol... I love you and I hate you.

Alcohol... The sweet nectar of the gods...


Not going to lie - I am a huge fan of bourbon, scotch, top-shelf tequila, rum, vodka, and beer... But the problem is that alcohol is basically a 4th Macro.

Protein: 4 calories per gram
Carbs: 4 calories per gram
Fat: 9 calories per gram
Alcohol: 7 calories per gram

So - you're looking at 64 calories per ounce roughly.

And you're thinking - well, that's not too bad. That's only 200 calories or so for a few drinks... And while true - here is the problem: Alcohol will interfere with the body's processing and burning of FAT...  Normally, the liver metabolizes fats, but you drink, alcohol takes preference. The liver breaks down alcohol for energy first, causing a build-up of fatty acids... Thus counteracting all that cool fat-loss stuff you've been working on.

This makes me sad. Because there are few things better than coming home, having a drink, and chilling out on the couch. But then I see things like this - Reddit User /u/Klamsykrawl gave up alcohol for a year... He lost 53 lbs and claims to feel better than he ever felt before.

Think before you drink... it could be hampering your progress.


Until Next Time - Stick to Water for a week. See how you feel.

2 comments:

  1. I think he lost at least a pound or two by cutting that beard! But he looks great. Alcohol is not my problem, but soda is. The empty calories I consume in soda is scary. Definitely focusing on weaning myself off that and drinking water instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 12 oz of soda and or other sugary drinks a day adds up to 1 added lb of weight gain per month... not to mention the myriad of other health problems it can lead to. I'm no saint. I used to put away Mt. Dew like it was my job... and mix all my drinks with coke/sprite... It was rough giving them up... but I am glad I finally did

      Delete